Food & Drink
Chow down on Napa-style tortillas
Chicken tortillas with chili mayonnaise
4 boneless chicken breasts, skin on (100g-150g each)
1 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp runny honey
1 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
180g all-purpose flour
120g cornmeal, blue or regular
½ tbsp canola oil
¾ tsp salt
250ml boiling water
1 tbsp sriracha sauce
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1. Start by preparing the tortilla dough. Place flour, cornmeal, oil and salt in a bowl. Pour over boiling water. Stir to mix well. Knead with floured hands into a soft dough. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 30 minutes.
2. Mix all the ingredients for the chili mayonnaise in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate.
3. Preheat oven to 240C/475F.
4. Combine garlic, cumin, honey and oil in a small bowl. Pat dry the chicken breasts and put them in a roasting tray skin side up. Brush both sides with the oil. Season.
5. Place the tray in the oven and cook for 25-30 minutes, until the chicken is done and the skin is lightly browned.
6. Take the tray out of the oven and let the chicken rest for 10-15 minutes. Meanwhile bake the tortillas.
7. Divide the tortilla dough into eight pieces. With well-floured hands make flat, round patties of each piece of dough. Carefully roll out each tortilla until it is about 20cm in diameter. Cook the tortillas for one minute each side in a dry, hot frying pan. Remove and wrap in a kitchen towel, stacking them as you go along.
8. Slice the chicken and serve with the tortillas, chili mayonnaise and a choice of fruit and vegetables, for example peeled orange slices, shredded white and red cabbage, chopped spring onions and fresh cilantro.
Published: October 21, 2014
Last edited: March 17, 2015