5 huge fashion moments
1. Twelve months of planning, 500 VIP guests, 88 models and a USD 10 million dollar price tag. Karl Lagerfeld chose the Great Wall of China as the setting for Fendi’s 2008 spring show.
2. The plaid fabrics that debuted here became part of Vivienne Westwood’s fashion DNA. But the 1993 autumn show was perhaps most memorable for a mishap: supermodel Naomi Campbell tripping and falling in her skyscraper heels.
3. The 2008 Chanel Paris autumn show featured a giant carousel, the epitome of fairy tales and fantasy. Karl Lagerfeld was the creative brains behind this one too.
4. Fashion as art, art as fashion. The late Alexander McQueen made a dramatic happening at his 1999 spring show with two robots spray painting a dress worn by supermodel Shalom Harlow.
5. John Galliano has had his fair share of troubles and criticism. But don’t forget what he did for fashion – being the first to bring Kate Moss to the catwalk in 1990.
Published: August 6, 2015
Last edited: August 6, 2015